Sunday, June 6, 2010

Trying Not to Miss the Point

While we all miss the mark from time to time, it seems especially important to not miss the point. All of us have opinions and views which might not be exactly on target, and we all make mistakes and poor choices from time to time. As followers of Christ, we should make it our goal to be familiar enough with his teachings to realize when we have errored, and then turn aside from that error (or sin), and change our way of thinking.

But consistently choosing behaviors and attitudes that are in direct conflict with what Jesus taught, especially the "big picture" view of scripture, and not making an effort to get beyond those behaviors, seems to be missing the point of being a believer.

Recently, I read several verses in Matthew chapter 12 that illustrate what I mean. Jesus had been healing many of those who were following him, and then warning them not to tell who he was. Verses 17-19 say, "This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet: 'Behold, My Servant whom I have chosen; My Beloved in whom My soul is well-pleased; I will put My Spirit upon Him, and He shall proclaim justice to the Gentiles. He will not quarrel, nor cry out; nor will anyone hear His voice in the streets.'"

This image of Jesus is in sharp contrast to many of the extremely vocal, political pundits operating today. These folks have mixed religion and politics and come up with a toxic brew which somehow combines the Gospel's message of love, peace, kindness and harmony with their own doctrine of hate, war, anger and discord. That's disheartening enough, but that they shout their views so loudly and attract such large audiences is the most grievous part.

Yelling and posturing is not an image I can connect with our great example Jesus, who, for the most part, worked quietly behind the scenes, ministering healing and love. I can't help but feel that those who do all of that screaming and who work so intently to rile up, rather than promote unity, are missing the point, entirely. But beyond that, it's one more reminder that when I see others operating in ways I question, I have to turn that questioning toward myself and my struggles, and make sure I'm not missing the point in my own life.

2 comments:

  1. Terry, do you ever wonder how many Christians like yourself really get it? I'm a strange animal--for about the last 20 of my 65 years here on earth, I've professed to be a non-believer--but I've never ever forgotten the teachings of Jesus. WWJD comes to mind all the time.

    Until about a year ago, I studied the Bible with a group here in Springfield, MO, and as I heard their views, it seemed like they had been brainwashed into a view that Capitalism and Christianity were entirely compatible. They had merged their political and religious views in a way that they were unable to think openly about the information that were thrown at them.

    Hey, I'm pleased to learn about and follow your blog -- I'm open to many views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ozark Uncle, I missed posting on your comment earlier, but thanks, and yes, the strange mixing of Capitalism and Christianity which has produced a new religion is quite baffling to me! Not that I'm necessarily anti-Capitalism, just anti the way it has become the rallying cry of a whole "branch" of Christianity which has very little to do with the Way Jesus proposed.

    ReplyDelete