Sunday, June 20, 2010

Blessing America

I have, in recent times, given up participating in the political arena, as I believe solutions to society's problems will most successfully be addressed by individuals, by believers, by the Church. (For those of you who have read my recent book, you will understand my position on those issues.) This is not the stand the two major political parties have taken, so I choose not to be a part of either one. But I am concerned about the politicizing of the phrase "God bless America."

Clearly, we all should hope that God does bless America -- what other real hope do we have? -- but why not propose God bless America, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, China, Uganda, Mexico and every other nation on earth? Whether or not governments are properly functioning or we agree with their methods, people every where are hurting, many are living in daily squalor and danger, and they need to be blessed (happy, content, safe).

I Timothy 2:1-2 says, "...I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity." The route to blessing is paved with prayer for leaders, and this does not mean only those who share our opinions.

And to truly ask for God's blessing, we must stop "cursing," (which is to wish that misfortune or evil would befall someone). No matter what we think of our leaders, saying awful things and wishing anyone anything other than well, obviously goes against scripture. In the book of James, chapter 3, we read of the importance of what we say, "...we bless our Lord and Father, and...we curse men, who have been made in the likenss of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way."

Everyone is certainly entitled to his or her own political view, but whatever view that is, the time has come to stop the hateful, hurtful sniping and insults. Do we really believe a holy God is in a position to bless a country which has fallen into the habit of cursing others so freely? Civility must reign. Love must prevail. Fresh water and bitter water don't come from the same fountain.

3 comments:

  1. Terry, again, I'm better off having read another of your posts. For a couple of years now I've been intending to create a bumper sticker that said "God Bless America" and then cross out "America" and scribble in "the World." As this paradoxical non-Christian / pro-Jesus type person, my only Bible Study group never seemed to see my point which was that for at least a decade, Christians have been used by political groups who only have an interest in (v)otes, not (v)alues.

    I told some close friends (Jewish faith) at breakfast this morning that I don't perceive that the national political powers want Roe v. Wade overturned because it would de-energize Christians' fervor at the ballot box.

    Terry, do these posts go to the West Plains paper? Or are they separate?

    Do you know Travis Morrison and his wife (Kathy?) in West Plains? Almost 30 years ago, I was a lobbyist in Jeff City when Travis was State Representative there--I held him in high regard then and know no reason to alter that perception although I probably have not seen him for over 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ozark Uncle, what you say certainly resonates with me. (Have you ever seen the bumper sticker "God bless the whole world - no exceptions"? It's one of my favorites.) Your assessment that Christians are being used by political groups is, I believe, so accurate.

    The irony of one "family values" politician after another being caught in sex scandals and ethics violations seems to be lost on the folks who are following those leaders. I suppose as long as their "pet" causes (anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, pro-war, etc.) are being addressed, they can put up with a little adultery and deceit...but it all seems more than a little odd to me. I'm not interested in judging those in the political arena, but I do wish those who judge other individuals so freely would apply a little discernment in the area of what's really happening in politics.

    My weekly column ("A Little Good News Today) is in Friday's West Plains Daily Quill on the religion page. I re-post the content (often with a few minor changes) on my blog, usually on Sunday mornings.

    I do know Travis and Kathy; they are wonderful! When I was in high school, and Travis was running for state rep, I actually did some door-to-door campaigning for him. I definitely do hold them in high regard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hold them in high regard too. We sit on different sides of political views sometimes, but I can honestly say my parents - Travis and Kathy- still believe in goodness within each human - parties aside. I am more jaded and always try to warn them about the nasty corruptions found in politics. I must say though that if push came to shove, and in my life with them it has at times become push to shove, my parents maintain decency and a fair mind.

    ReplyDelete