Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grateful

As someone who enjoys cold weather and winter, I woke up this morning trying to think of reasons I should be grateful for the summertime heat and humidity. I honestly couldn't think of many. I realize some people would rather sweat profusely under the unrelenting sun instead of warding off the chill of an overcast January day by bundling up in warm clothes. While I am happy for them, that group does not include me. We're all designed with different likes and dislikes, and I have a preference for cool temperatures.

However, even though I may not have specific reasons to be thankful for the heat, the idea of giving thanks in everything does come to mind. I know it is better to choose to be grateful for the sweltering weather, because a thankful attitude is always more productive than complaining (even when the heat index is well over a hundred degrees and my hair refuses to cooperate). Regardless of the weather, no matter what my circumstances are, I certainly do have every reason to be grateful.

I Thessalonians 16-18 urges us to, "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I know that complaining and looking for the worst in every situation is not God's will for us; gratitude is. (This does not only apply to weather-related issues, obviously. Less complaining all around is definitely called for.)

So, on this hot, sticky, bug-infested, dusty day, I am thankful for a roof over my head, dependable transportation and an automatic washing machine. (I'm always grateful when I do a load of laundry because I remember the wringer washer my mother used when I was a child and how happy she was when we finally got an automatic machine.) I am grateful for jobs I enjoy, wildflowers and ice cubes. I am happy I have a healthy, fun-loving family, including a husband who is hard-working and has a good sense of humor.

Most of all, I am grateful for a God who loves us, who created each of us to be individuals, who gives us the capacity to find enjoyment in our circumstances and who blesses us with contentment and peace when we seek him. Okay, summertime, I've talked myself into it, and I'm going to try my best to love you.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be recommending your blog to some Springfield Christian friends. Well written with an original point of view.

    ReplyDelete