Sunday, November 25, 2012

What's my motivation?

Not long ago my daughter and I were having one of our many conversations about life/religion/philosophy/the state of the world. The topic, I don't remember the specifics, was something I had blogged about and shared in my column in the West Plains Daily Quill. She said, "Why do you write your column and your blog? Is it because you like it when people tell you how much they enjoy reading what you've written?" (She and I like to keep each other on our toes. We're a family who tries to make sure no one "gets the big head," as my mother would say.) 

Her question is a good one. I struggled a bit with the answer. I don't think I write because I like to get the occasional pat on the back. It is nice to be complimented, and I appreciate encouraging words, but if "atta girl" is all I'm looking for, I would stick to warm and fuzzy stuff because we all like that sort of thing. 

Why do any of us share our thoughts and views, especially about religion? Is it because we believe our opinion is the right one? Do we think we know better than everyone else? In my case, am I trying to change anyone's mind about God and matters of faith? Do I think I have a corner on the market when it comes to The Way? 

When I walked into the Quill office over five years ago and asked city editor Carol Bruce if she would be interested in a weekly column I was willing to write for free for the religion page, I remember the frustration I was feeling with the mixing of God and politics in our country, with the way the name of Jesus was being used to justify all kinds of nonsense. I also remember how discouraged I was with the church situation I was in at the time. Allen and I were more or less forcing ourselves to attend Sunday morning services because it was a tradition, an obligation, a habit. We weren't getting anything out of it, and in fact, would leave feeling worse than when we arrived. I know, I know, local friends, YOUR church isn't like that, and I know we're welcome there any time. 

I will admit the church we were attending was pretty messed up, but, in general, I was worn down by years of hearing the same thing over and over again from the pulpit. In the church tradition I come from, it was the prosperity principle for a while and of course, an endless stream of altar calls. Where was the message of unconditional love? Why weren't we expending more resources to help the hurting? Sometimes I wondered if anyone going to church was even bothering to read the New Testament. I guess when it comes right down to it, I thought Jesus was getting a bad rap by those claiming to represent him. There are exceptions to that generalization, of course, and I think (I hope) the religious climate is changing, although I would be hard-pressed to prove it by the religious mudslinging so prevalent in the political realm.
  
My take on the message of Jesus is why I wrote my novel, "The Least of These." It's why I continue to comment on matters of religion. If nothing else, I write to remind MYSELF to be better, to love and forgive more, to judge less. When I make my views public, I feel an obligation to be consistent. I'm certainly not perfect, but I try not to be a hypocrite. 

Even though one of my ongoing claims is that Jesus is capable of taking care of himself, and he really doesn't need anyone's help, I suppose I feel like I'm defending his reputation with my words. Funny, isn't it? I know that's what everyone expressing a religious view which is in opposition to mine thinks, too. Why do I blog? What's the point of this one, in particular? Who knows? Might as well ask, what's the meaning of life? I'm on a constant quest for answers, a search for truth, I suppose. Thanks for going along on the journey.  


No comments:

Post a Comment