Sunday, October 7, 2012

Prayer Thoughts

I've prayed some interesting prayers over the years and heard others pray for interesting things, too. When I was younger, in particular, I prayed prayers I suppose I had no business praying, asked for things it would have been better not to have received. In retrospect, I would say thank God he's gracious and didn't give me everything I wanted or thought I needed. I've also witnessed and received some truly incredible answers to prayers, things which defy explanation aside from faith and the working of the Spirit.
 

Prayer is central to most religions, and yet, for many it seems to remain a bit mysterious. How and when do we pray? What should and should we not pray for? I would not presume to tell anyone what are suitable topics for prayers, although peace and wisdom might be good places to start and are certainly in short supply. I would humbly suggest a few things not to pray for: patience, a good mood, or that harm would befall another.
 

Patience grows by learning to deal with situations which make us upset or angry. It's perhaps better to practice patience in what we're already experiencing, rather than praying for patience, which could, conceivably, send even more things our way which frustrate us. Relax, be patient in current circumstances, and maybe save the trouble of learning a lesson the hard way. Likewise, praying to be in a good mood, or to be less stressed, or to not worry, for example, are all prayers I believe God will not answer, perhaps cannot answer, because the answer lies within us. These things amount to choices we make. Don't pray to be in good mood; be in a good mood.

Finally, based on New Testament teachings, praying for harm to befall another is about as far away from what Jesus taught as anything I can imagine. Yet, I have heard Christians pray "against" others many times. Our definition and view of justice is always incomplete, and aside from that, it is not our job to figure out who needs to be "put in their place" or punished. Lifting up others, rather than tearing them down, will always be a good use of our prayer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment