Sunday, January 22, 2012

Booing the Golden Rule?

I have not been watching the GOP presidential debates, but I do see video clips from time to time of participants answering questions at the events. I am baffled by much of what goes on in politics, especially when it comes to how those claiming to be religious choose to engage in the process, but I was absolutely bewildered when I heard an audience at a recent debate boo a candidate who mentioned the "Golden Rule."

Perhaps the majority of the audience would not claim to be Christians, and I suppose that could explain their reaction, but my guess is most of those doing the booing would likely identify themselves as fans of Jesus. It is one thing to disagree with the content of what is being said, but to offer an exclamation of contempt or disapproval at the mention of the basic tenet of civility and ethical conduct, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” is a matter which should lead us all to spend some time reflecting on what we believe, and -- putting politics aside -- how our beliefs play out in our everyday lives.

It is not a new problem that many who claim to follow the teachings of Jesus have never really studied what he taught, and it is also not a recent development that some manage to compartmentalize Sunday morning church behavior as different from what goes on during the rest of the week. But if the Body of Christ is going to have a positive impact on the world, those attitudes must change.

I have friends who don't claim to be followers of Jesus who behave with more compassion and civility than some I've encountered who do profess to be Christians. And I know it's a question which is asked often, but why should unbelievers be curious about what Jesus says if those who say they know him are rude, unkind and sometimes even behave like thoughtless and uncaring bullies?

We all need to take time for spiritual self-examination, and in doing so, I think the question we should ask ourselves is not necessarily "What would Jesus do?" but more to the point, how should I behave to show others I have taken to heart his commandment to love my neighbor as I love myself? Christians do change our own little corners of the world every day. Let us hope and pray the difference we make is always for the better.

2 comments:

  1. Very well said, Terry! I couldn't agree more with this post. I'm afraid of what America would see if we, collectively as a country, really took an honest introspective examination of ourselves.

    Our narcissism would probably prohibit us from seeing the truth, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Mike! I think we, as a nation, might need a "time out."

    ReplyDelete