Sunday, January 29, 2012

Balance and Unity

One important part of our spiritual lives is the process of seeking balance. I might go so far as to say, it is the most important reason to pursue matters of the spirit. As scripture points out in the area of faith, for example, it doesn't do much good to tell someone in need to go in peace and be warm and be fed if we aren't willing to bring our good works into the equation and actually help that person by providing what they need, if it is within our power to do so. The kind of faith that wishes someone well and then walks away isn't the kind of faith Jesus had in mind.

I find myself in a similar predicament writing a column for the West Plains Daily Quill's religion page titled "A Little Good News Today" and also taking it upon myself to share my thoughts on a weekly blog, both of which sprang from my desire to encourage those who might be struggling under a heavy burden, but also because I get downright angry at how some Christians are more mean and judgmental and less giving than many of the supposed "sinners" of the world. I'm tired of bad news and tired of feeling like there's nothing to be done about the state of things.

But how do I find the balance between challenging us all to stand up to injustice, for instance, while also attempting to provide encouragement for those who might be sad or suffering? How do I remain true to my principles and also try to reach out and make a connection to someone else regardless of the beliefs we might or might not have in common? It's a bit like trying to keep my religion out of my politics and my politics out of my religion. Not easy.

Clearly, some thoughts will apply more to some people than others, and it is also true I will not be able to please everyone with my comments. (Although, as I have mentioned before, of the people who hold a wide range of beliefs who read my column and my blog, I have found there is more which unites us than that which divides.)

There are different interpretations of what we are called to do as followers of Jesus, but whatever our opinions, our denominations, our ways of doing things, we cannot let them divide us to the point of not being able to work together for the common good. If we are completely wrapped up in defending our own set of rules and traditions, we will be in danger of missing the point, and that point is love.

We must agree, above all, Jesus commanded us to love one another. There is no way around it. That does not require us to agree on every issue, but it can compel us to at least think about what others are saying and consider why they're saying it. Let us not feel threatened by differences. It is possible some of the opinions we hold dear could use a little improving by allowing someone else's point of view to influence how we look at the world. Certainly my opinions, included.

No comments:

Post a Comment