Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Happiness Habit

My effort to remain optimistic has been challenged many times over the past week as I have encountered an abundance of situations which appeared to be engineered to feed my cynicism. With bad news and nonsense running rampant, it seems to be so much easier to complain than it is to "keep on the sunny side." But I know it doesn't have to be that way. Since I am, in all honesty, quite happy with my life, I have few valid reasons to complain. For many of us, myself included, expressing dissatisfaction at a moment's notice is more of a habit than anything else.

Even when something unfortunate befalls us or an obstacle lands in our path, an old stand-by piece of advice from my days of motivational speaking does hold true: We can't control what happens to us in life, but we can control how we react to what happens to us. (This is one problem with optimism, for me; I tend to rely on trite comments when trying be cheerful. I've evidently managed to convince myself crankiness somehow fuels creativity.)

Dissatisfaction with the status quo is not necessarily a bad thing. Complaining about a wrong situation to those who can do something about it can be an effective means of changing that situation for the better. However, complaining to everyone other than those who can address an issue, or complaining without offering solutions, is not so effective. In addition, complaining about traffic, the weather or how others choose to dress or wear their hair, for instance, is not productive. Making incessant, negative comments about things we can't change only serves to bring more negativity into our lives and the lives of everyone around us.

Seek joy and set aside griping. Only complain about circumstances we can do something about, and then, only fuss if it leads to action and positive change. As believers, when we try to achieve these kinds of attitudes it is a worthy goal. It's a good way to demonstrate we are casting aside worry and walking in faith. If we want to spread the Good News, let's ditch the complaining and develop the happiness habit. (I'll try to work on profound comments another time. Platitudes will have to do for now.)

Oh, and have a nice day. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment