Sunday, September 25, 2011

Kitties and Rainbows

After last week's blog, a couple of my friends expressed concern I might be trading off honesty in favor of optimism. My somewhat facetious reply was, "I don't know that I can write about 'rainbows and kitties' all of the time and feel as though I'm remaining true to my beliefs, but I do think I can, perhaps, make an effort to avoid politics, in particular, and its polarizing effects." Having said that, in my first week into my renewed efforts toward optimism, I have decided to share a story about a kitten. Our kitten, specifically.

Shortly after my dad passed away, just over two years ago, his cat made the short journey from his place to ours to take up residence. This past June, at the age of 14(old for an outside cat, I believe), she evidently decided it was time to go. One Monday, she stopped eating. We didn't notice she was otherwise acting sick or unusual; she just didn't eat. As the week went on, we figured out what she was doing, and by Saturday, we found her dead in her favorite flower bed. After a short memorial service, whereby her devotion to my father was noted, we buried her near the garden.

Because of the need for mouse control in our outbuildings, we decided to get another cat. Shortly after, Max, a lively kitten who had been abandoned in town, was adopted to fill the role of chief mouser. Perhaps because of his gratitude at being rescued from a life of dodging cars, or maybe because he honestly has a sense of humor, he is the sweetest cat I have ever known. He loves to sit on laps and gently stroke our faces with his soft little paws, and he is unrestrained in his delight at making us laugh: stalking, jumping out from behind anything, playing madly with a ball. He is determined to out-kitten all other cats.

And he reminds me of the wild abandon we should show in loving others, which is the way we fulfill God's commandment to us. Max does his job of catching rodents, and without reservations, with no hesitation, enjoys life while doing it and apparently, desires for us, his family, to savor life, too. He is my current role model. I'm not proposing we're only here to be the entertainment for everyone else, but I do want to enjoy every day to the same extent our kitten does, letting go of worries, living to the fullest and imparting joy. Don't you?

2 comments:

  1. Every heart that has beat strongly and cheerfully has left a hopeful impulse behind it in the world, and bettered the tradition of mankind. Robert Louis Stevenson

    ReplyDelete