Sunday, July 11, 2010

What Can We Do?

My blog is usually a re-post of my weekly column in the West Plains Daily Quill, so sometimes it is "local" in nature. This week, I want to share some information about a local project, but I hope it will be a challenge for all of us to think of what has happened in our own lives which has lead us to where we are -- the struggles, the difficulties -- and then think of how we can help those in similar situations. A heartfelt, empathetic desire to demonstrate love and assist others in overcoming their circumstances, is the perfect way to change someone's life forever.

I'm always interested in and inspired by the creative ways people are helping others, and here is something my friend Lisa Meade is doing. After hearing about outreach programs in other parts of the country which provide formal dresses and all the accessories needed for girls who couldn't otherwise afford to attend prom to do so, Lisa decided to do something similar in our area. The result of her desire to help is a wonderful project called "Cinderella's Closet."

They are looking for donations of new and/or gently used prom dresses, shoes, jewelry, evening bags, disposable cameras, hair and nail gift certificates, gift cards for an evening meal, anything a girl can use to have a memorable prom night. (They also need gift certificates for dry cleaning the used dresses.) Items can be dropped off at Bradford Pharmacy in West Plains (ask for Leslie King or Bob Manion) or Air Evac Patient Accounts (ask for Lisa). Lisa's email address is daughter-oftheking@hotmail.com, if wanting more information.

Cinderella's Closet will be open for a couple of days early next year for girls to come and "shop." Everything will be free, and the girls will leave all outfitted for prom.

Lisa shared with me the importance of this project. She says, "I understand first hand how it feels not to be able to 'fit in,' and I know there are girls in our area who feel the same way simply because their families are under financial stress and cannot afford to send them to prom. I wasn't able to attend either of my proms due to financial restrictions in our family, and that is why this means so much to me, personally."

I have friends and family members who have travelled around the world to do mission work, and I admire them for that. But we should not feel as though we fall short if we don't do similar work...there are plenty of opportunities to minister right where we are. What have we learned from what we have experienced -- our trials, our mistakes -- that we can turn into a way to help others?

3 comments:

  1. Terry, profound as usual. This past weekend, a nephew (who I haven't seen for ten years) came to visit us from Los Angeles where he is an accomplished actor but not a rich one. He's really into AA; the group helped him get sober eight years ago when he got to the point of suicide. Rod attended the national AA meeting in San Antonio before coming to our house. He said one of his sponsors in LA has put together a property where he personally provides spartan living facilities to people who are recovering and needs a place to stay. It fits with an idea I've had along that lines for around here. I'm about to read William Powers' new book: "Twelve by Twelve--A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid & Beyond the American Dream." Me and my "perceptions"...I sense we are in a time where more and more people just need a 12x12 living space with some food to eat. I have my radar on for opportunities here in Springfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WONDERFUL! I send hearty applause to Lisa Meade & all who are helping! It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

    "Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

    --Robert Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting that quote, Jeff!
    Ozark Uncle, I love the story about your nephew...and I agree wholeheartedly with your perception!! My husband and I have been steadily working at simplifying our lives over the past few years. The American dream is more of a nightmare in many ways (and it's one reason I have a problem calling America a "Christian" nation, but I digress)...constantly striving for more, more of everything; adding more "junk" to the "stack" of stuff; constant consuming with no thought of sustainability. One of the reasons I've been a little more out of the loop the past couple weeks is because of our summer musical at the Avenue Theatre (where I am the executive director), but also because my husband and I recently bought back a house we had sold to a family about 3 years ago, and we've been cleaning it up. They moved out of state and left their possessions in the house. If you've ever seen those television shows about hoarders, you know what we were up against! Incredible...every roomed stacked several feet high with stuff (clothes, dirty dishes, broken toys, trash, etc., etc.). As easy as it is to say, "they have a problem," I realize I have to look at my own life and see the things I'm hanging onto that are completely unnecessary...it's a process that is leading us to our own version of a "12 x 12 room." I wish I could credit the person who said this originally, but I've thought about this many times since I first read it. "If you have two coats, you have someone else's coat." Not sure sure that's exact, but the sentiment is (I hope) a driving force in my life.

    ReplyDelete