Sunday, October 27, 2013

Life's Direction

I understand why so many people want to hide away from the world and not seek to be aware of the ills of society. There are big problems 'out there,' overwhelming conditions, situations seemingly beyond our control. For most of us -- those who will likely read this post -- home is safe. Home is good. Home is where we don't have to think about how what we do affects those unknown masses around us. We can live in a cocoon of protection. 

I believe it is not apathy or indifference which most often keeps us from trying to do more than we do. Most of us care a great deal about others, about the world. We want to make a difference. My theory is it is more usually a vague fear of not being able to do enough. We think we will do something small and it will be insignificant. Or maybe we'll try to do something big and we'll fall flat. People might even make fun of us for making an attempt.

On days like today, when the leaves are various shades of perfection and the view outside my window is about as heavenly as I can imagine, it's easy to not think about problems, far and near, about the future of our country or our planet. Here and now is enough. Perhaps my family is all I need. I consider sinking into isolation and just being still. But then I think about my daughter and her children and the world they'll be living in when I'm gone. Will it be worse than now? Can it be better?

Not everyone is wired the same way. A quiet life of reflection and living at peace with others is a good life. For some, that is how they change the world. It is not for any of us to judge what is the right course, what is the best way for anyone else. What I know for myself is at this point in my life I can't unknow the things I've discovered. I can't stop thinking about how maybe I can help change things for the better.

So, I suppose what I'm saying is this. I'm not shy about giving advice, but when I sound preachy, when I write about what Jesus would do or what our obligation is to the world, I hope anyone who reads my rambling will frame it in the way which is best for individual circumstances. None of us know what is the best course for others, certainly I don't. Sometimes I don't even know if what I'm doing is the best course for me!

But any hesitation I'm feeling this morning will pass, I'm sure. Be looking for a couple of  announcements which will be coming in the weeks ahead. One thing is something fun a friend and I are thinking about doing and another is something pretty crazy I'm planning to do. It's a big venture, it will require lots of help and I'm hoping maybe some of you will want to go along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment