Sunday, September 16, 2012

Easy Choices

For most people, myself included, it's difficult to pass up a cookie in favor of cauliflower. Even though I like cauliflower, I like cookies more. Our preferences, most generally, lean toward choosing what's not so good for us over what is convenient or tastes sweet or salty, whatever our weakness is. It takes a concerted effort to get into the habit of eating better on a regular basis and saving less healthy options for occasional treats. We're all aware of the physical consequences of easy food choices.

As for mindset choices, pessimism is usually an easier route than optimism. Many of us can slip right into thinking the worst of every situation without even trying, and there goes the whole day, given over to a bad mood. Optimism, however, will often take effort. Some days, it might take every ounce of strength we've got to not let the worst get the best of us. 

Likewise, worrying is naturally easy for most people. The more difficult choice is to relax and keep the faith, recognizing to fret does no good, and, in fact, does us harm, as stress is a major cause of many illnesses and conditions.  

These easy choices mostly affect our personal health and welfare, but many other choices affect those around us, especially our choice to judge the actions of others. It seems to be far more difficult to give others the benefit of the doubt, to consider there might be at least one more thing to know about a person or a circumstance which would change our opinion about what's happening. I recently made a decision based on assumptions which were totally off-base. Fortunately, I took a moment to confront the situation, found out I was wrong, had to swallow my pride and apologize for jumping to wrong conclusions. 

And there's the rub with most easy choices. They appear easy at the outset, but the consequences are often unpleasant. Whereas, choosing the difficult path upfront will almost always make our lives easier in the long run. Jesus had much to say about the importance of making the right choice even when it was tough to do. The Way he taught is marked by living simply, but we all know simple and easy can be two different things.

5 comments:

  1. Simple and easy sound as if they should go together. Living simply goes against what most of society believes is "necessary", which makes living simply, not so easy. And I don't believe life should be "easy" either but it certainly should be simple. That's more to live for :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how true...it is not easy to live simply in a society dominated by materialism and consumerism. Simplify! It's been my theme for several years, but it is an ongoing process to "back out" of that which entangles. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. "Sister Terry", worry is something that I have done for so many years that it is a habit. It is very hard for me to choose to relax. A simpler life would be post helpful to me but my attempts are much more difficult with a family situation that I choose to serve first before myself.

    Francis Chan, in his Christian book called "Crazy Love" says that “Both worry and stress reek of arrogance.” At first I didn't get what he was saying. Then I thought, my worries are often that someone else will not do the right thing. In reality, I feel like I'm more capable than that person, hence arrogance. I never was a very good people manager because of the sense that (or desire) I could do it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ozark Uncle", something to ponder and hopefully, put away my arrogance. I have been a worrier most of my life but never considered it arrogant. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ozark Uncle, I agree...worry is arrogance. What a spot-on observation. Now, the simple thing, stop worrying! (Again simple does not equal easy.)

    ReplyDelete