Sunday, August 26, 2012

Youth


Recently, I have been working on several projects with people who are younger than I am, some of them considerably so. I am energized by their youthful enthusiasm, inspired by their attitudes, admiring of their ethics and, honestly, looking forward to a future when these young people will be in charge. Their approach to life is indeed, in most cases, different than that of generations past, and I find myself thinking that is not a bad thing.
 

In my experience, these members of the younger generation care far less about issues which cause disagreement and spend much more time concentrating on what unites us and brings us together. Even though many of them have strong religious and political views, I haven't been hearing them express those views in a public, hateful manner. Those in the 35 and under range are not judgmental, in general, and are willing to extend grace and give others the benefit of the doubt. Racial and cultural prejudices are mostly absent with my younger friends. They are tolerant and loving. Their spiritual views are refreshing.
 

One young woman I know spent all day on her 18th birthday, with her best friend, the two of them not looking for ways to misbehave to celebrate approaching adulthood, but rather doing 18 random acts of kindness, including finishing up the evening by volunteering to work at the concession stand at the Avenue Theatre. They didn't boast about it. I wouldn't have known, except her uncle mentioned it to me.
 

 Especially on a national level, some members of the older generation have not been behaving with integrity, and dissension seems to be the rallying cry. Argumentative, divisive and hateful dispositions do not set a good example. Locally (at least where I live) fortunately, that is not as prevalent, and the late Joe Evans, mayor of my hometown West Plains, Missouri until his recent passing,  is a shining case in point of how a good attitude is ageless. It is each individual's own choice whether or not to be productive and happy, but if the main thing young people see are old people behaving badly, it is discouraging for them. I know this is true because many of them have mentioned it. 
 

On occasions when I might start to lose hope for the future, I consider the younger friends I have, and my faith is restored. I always need to remind myself to join them in looking for what is best in others and in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment