Sunday, April 15, 2012

Thinking About Food

I think it's time for serious conversations about food. How, why and what do we consume? As a society, we are overfed. Obesity rates continue to climb. It's taking a huge toll on our health. If we're being honest, food and obesity issues are the main components contributing to the healthcare crisis in this country. It doesn't help that this issue has become politicized, along with almost everything else. I don't care what side of the aisle you're on, can we all please agree, as a nation, we need to eat less and eat better?

It's not an easy conversation to start or have. I don't want to offend anyone, cause hurt feelings or sound preachy (probably too late for that). But I read an interesting article the other day about the unhealthy food which churches offer (think ice cream socials and potluck dinners), and I was glad to see some in the church world are thinking about health as it relates to spiritual issues.

I will begin by confessing I don't always make the best food choices. Because I tend to be busy, often I don't take time to prepare meals using the fresh ingredients I know I should be using, and as a family, we don't sit down and enjoy our food as often as we should. But we are taking steps to eat better. We don't eat out as much as we previously did, and we are cutting out processed food -- adding more fresh, organic fruit and vegetables. Our garden will be expanded this year, and we're vowing to be regulars at the farmer's market. Do we still eat chocolate and other sweets? Yes, but we've cut back.

There are other important issues related to food. For example, where it comes from and how our food-related decisions affect the lives and livelihoods of our neighbors and others around the world. Food -- the sharing of meals, the feeding of the poor, the simplicity and gratitude involved in eating -- was an integral part of the teachings of Jesus, and we should be more focused on this crucial issue.

There is a "local food" movement which is gaining momentum, and I'll be writing more about it in the weeks ahead. I hope each of you will investigate the benefits of local food, and for my friends in the West Plains area, there is a meeting on the topic next Saturday at 3:00 p.m at the West Civic Center. Ruell Chappell (a member of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils and local food activist) will be sharing information vital for local food producers, processors, retailers and consumers. I invite you to like his "Truth is Local" Facebook page and also go to the "Ruell Chappell/Truth Is Local" event page and plan to attend the meeting next Saturday.

What we eat matters. Where it comes from is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment