Sunday, June 26, 2011

Our Response to Hate

When faced with the hatred which emanates from members of the organization which calls itself the Westboro Baptist Church, there are three basic responses: ignore their actions, react inkind (or even with violence) or respond with love and forgiveness.

It is difficult to ignore these hate-filled loudmouths with their obnoxious placards and venomous words, but refusing to acknowledge them or give them the attention they crave is a better option than sinking to their mean-spirited level and "returning evil for evil." However, the best option is to respond with love, and it seems to me, for the most part, that is what happened last Sunday at the funeral of Pfc. Warren England in Gainesville, a small community not far from where I live.

Even though some angry words were exchanged between the Westboro group and other funeral attendees, area residents were standing up for what is right and acting out of concern for the grieving family. Love does not always mean we will hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" (which is what a friend of mine recently said seems to be my approach in dealing with our enemies). Love is not an emotion; it is an active, powerful force, and Jesus, who was the master of love, had harsh words for religious people who had lost their focus and misplaced their priorities. He did stand up to them.

But he also forgave them, and that is key. He prayed they would see the error of their ways and turn back from evil. Extending forgiveness toward the Westboro group should be our ultimate goal. Not forgiveness which gives them the green light to continue their misguided rants or approval of what they're doing, but forgiveness which hopes they will repent and change.

That is an unlikely scenario in this case, but praying for them is our calling as believers, and if we follow the teachings of Jesus, love is our only choice. We can't control the behavior of others, but we do have the choice to control our own actions. The forgiveness we extend is not for them (because they are not asking to be forgiven); it is for us. We must not let the Westboro group win by becoming like them. Love in the face of evil is the ultimate victory, because it transforms us, even when our enemy never changes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not near as kind or loving as God would be; if the Westboro folks were in a dark alley and I were armed, I'm not sure I wouldn't instantly turn into Rambo. It's one of the reasons I don't own a gun, btw.

    I love (and try to live by) Isaac Asimov's classic, "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." But I also realize that while my tiger is in his cage, I also know the cage is not locked....

    I love the scene from "The Laramie Project" where the GLBT members of the community surround Phelps with angel-wing outfits, so no one could see him. I also have to admit to some amount of glee in the work of The Patriot Guard Riders - motorcycle riders with US flags who form a barrier between the Westboro folks and the funerals of servicemen. The roar of their engines and the size of their flags block and drown out the Westboro crazies.

    Both are examples of "prophylaxis" - a medical term for a barrier or practice which prevents infection by undesirable organisms.

    As a wise friend says, "We don't have to hurt them; but we don't have to roll out the welcome mat for them, either."

    I know there is a long distance between "loving one's enemy" and "not actually HURTING one's enemy." It's very clear to me that God *can* restore me to sanity in this area, even if He hasn't made much progress so far...

    Great post, Terry. Your writing reminds me where the splinters remain on my spiritual wood-working project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, thanks for your thoughtful comments. (Love the "We don't have to hurt them; but we don't have to roll out the welcome mat for them, either" observation. Great way to summarize how I feel.)

    Even though I don't have violent tendencies, I do wonder what my reaction would be if I ever came face to face with the Westboro group. (I did not attend the local funeral.) Their particular brand of evil is so disgusting and hateful, I'm not sure what I would say or do, quite honestly.

    It's certainly easy for me to dispense a "peace and love" message, but then I think of what I might do if they attended the funeral of one of my family members or a friend....might not be a pretty sight.

    When it comes down to it, I'm with you, Steve...right in the same splintery wooden boat! (And extremely grateful for the mercy and forgiveness which God extends to me.)

    ReplyDelete