Sunday, April 3, 2011

Springtime and Hopeful Change

I like to stay busy. When someone says he or she is sitting at home bored, I can't even imagine how that feels. Right now, without even trying too hard, I can think of a a half-dozen projects which need my attention and at least that many more I'd like to start. I have two or three books I'm reading at any given time, one I started writing a year ago which I need to finish and one book already published which I should be promoting. I think many of my friends are the same way -- there seems to be so much to do and so little time to do it.

This morning, I took a few minutes to prop my feet up and stare out the window. I don't do that often enough. While I do have as part of my daily routine, time set aside each morning to pray and read, I don't sit and stare enough, don't take time to soak up the details of what is happening around me. Today, many of the trees are just beginning to have that light green springtime "glow" of tiny leaves and buds. I know that by next Sunday, the landscape will be even more dramatically alive, and it is my loss if I don't take time to enjoy it.

But even in my quiet contemplation, my mind goes to what is happening in our country and how there are significant changes on the horizon. Framed in the context of the new life of springtime, nothing seems too bad, nothing seems impossible. I like to think about possibilities because God is the God of possibility.

Our country has gone through many trying times in the past, and it has not been the end. Out of a revolution came a nation based on democratic principles. Out of a civil war came freedom from the scourge of slavery. Out of a worldwide influenza epidemic came modern medical advances. Out of World War II came the knowledge that war at that level must never happen again.

We'll get through whatever we need to, and it is up to the moderate majority of believers to lead the way. Our hope and faith must be strong, and our activism must be real. We must let our leaders know how we feel, and we must not give up. To my young friends, in particular, now is your time to rise up and decide what the future of this country will look like, what YOUR future will be. Don't give up, friends. I say again, as I say often, better times are ahead. I have to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment