Sunday, November 14, 2010

Having an Anchor

This is a summary of what's been going on in my family's life in the past three weeks:

1. We went on an actual "get-out-of-town" for nine days vacation (which we have not done in several years.) The trip included my husband and I, our daughter (Tracy) and son-in-law (John) and our grandson (Farrand).

2. We returned on November 4 (my grandson's birthday; we got back at about 7 p.m., but managed to get a party thrown together that evening).

3. The next day Tracy and John headed off to Nebraska to spend time with John's grandmother. She had been battling cancer for several years and passed away this week, her funeral was yesterday.

4. Farrand did not go to Nebraska, so Allen and I are taking care of him and trying to keep him up-to-date with his schoolwork. (He is homeschooled; Allen has been managing the lessons.) I'm not sure when Tracy and John will get back.

5. The West Plains High School fall play started at the Avenue Theatre on Thursday and runs through this afternoon. As the Theatre's Executive Director (a job description which is very broad and includes things like running the concession stand and making sure it has adequate supplies), I have been there for every performance, but so has my husband and grandson because usually our daughter helps with events, and, as noted above, she is out of town. (So thankful for Abby Corman, who has also been helping.) Allen sold popcorn on his birthday (yesterday).

6. I am also working on the details of a play I am directing which opens three weeks from yesterday.

7. The Theatre's annual "Assumption Abbey Fruit cake" fund-raiser is now underway. (Allen and I drove over to pick up the cakes on Tuesday afternoon.)

8. On Tuesday morning, I spoke (briefly) at a breakfast fellowship. It started at 7:30. I had planned to be there early (thankfully) because I had a flat tire on the way, and Allen had to rescue me, by bringing me another vehicle...I was only a few minutes late.

9. My 94-year-old aunt was hospitalized for two days and subsequently decided to move to a nursing home. As her only nearby relative, the task of boxing up and dealing with her possessions has fallen to me -- she was never married and has no children. I have to have her apartment cleaned out by the end of November, and am treading lightly, so as not to get rid of anything she still wants.

10. I am continuing to work my part-time hours at the university.

There are probably a few more things I could add (I did manage to only miss one column/blog during all of that), but that's the gist of it.

I have not mentioned all of these things to elicit any "Wow, Terry you are so busy" comments, or to seek a pat on the back. I know there are many of my friends who lead similarly hectic lives in addition to having many complicating factors which I am so blessed to not be dealing with.

I mention these things because I so grateful our family has God as our anchor. I sit here peacefully on a Sunday morning, not stressing about the days and weeks ahead (because they promise to be equally full of activities and perhaps a few surprises), and I know I am only able to find that peace because of the hope I have in God and his promises.

Hebrews 6:19: "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast..."

I sure wouldn't want to be in the boat I'm in without God as my anchor! Peace and blessings to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Sister Terry, you know the Ozark Uncle understands the importance of anchoring. Unfortunately, his anchor come partially from an anxiety prescription which keeps him from working like a mad man. You also know his boat is floating alone down the river of life, and it gets a little scary as the years march by. Loved the listing of your activities.

    ReplyDelete