Sunday, September 26, 2010

Concentrating on Change

Many of you know I write a weekly column in the West Plains Daily Quill which is what I generally re-post (often with modifications) on this blog. This week, while preparing to submit my column, I encountered a bit of writer's block. As the deadline approached, I stared blankly at the computer screen for a long while, finally asking my husband, "Do you have any ideas for my column?" (He has been the inspiration for several over the years. I'll let you interpret that any way you want, but he honestly has made many good suggestions for topics.)

"Why don't you just start typing?" he suggested. "Have you ever tried it?" He obviously didn't have any ideas, either. I thought how that approach was like trying to make a decision by randomly opening the Bible to point at a verse to find an answer.

As an experiment (and because I was stuck), I did try "just typing," and, of course, the resulting gibberish wasn't even a sentence. (Although it did start out "Now is the time for all . . ." a phrase which might be recognizable to those who have ever taken a typing class, a precursor to what is now called "keyboarding." That sentence fragment had been ingrained in my mind many years ago and prompted a conversation with my husband about Mrs. Orr, who was our typing instructor when he and I were in high school. It was a nice conversation about the "good ole days," but it didn't provide much inspiration.)

After that, and several other side conversations, I was reminded of how easy it is to get side-tracked in any area of life, and I remembered the scripture which says, ". . .if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven." (Matt. 18:19).

In many cases, believers have become distracted. We are called to be united in Christ, but we're not. We should be thinking about the things on which we agree -- serving Jesus, loving others, honoring God -- and yet, we use precious time being preoccupied with petty differences. Denominations. Opinions. Politics. Right. Left. Labels. Do you realize if we could all get in agreement on the larger issues of life, we really would change the world?

It seems as though the Church has tried what amounts to "randomly opening the Bible" or the "fingers tapping mindlessly on a keyboard" approach, and it hasn't worked, hasn't produced anything that makes sense. The time is right for concentration on our calling, for agreement among believers. It will take an intentional, deliberate effort to stay on track, but if we could ever manage to do it, it would be worth every minute.

1 comment: