Sunday, August 8, 2010

Measurements

According to the website of the National Institute of Standards and Technology Weights and Measures Division, its job is to promote "uniformity in U.S. weights and measures laws, regulations, and standards to achieve equity between buyers and sellers in the marketplace." We are all in hearty agreement that if we pay for two pounds of grapes, we should get two pounds, not a pound and three-quarters.

Such precise measuring is fine for produce, but we should set aside the scales in our estimation of those around us. Luke 6:37-38 says,"Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon and you will be pardoned. Give and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure -- pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."

It could not be more clear that we are not to judge others, and we are not to condemn them for their actions. And yet, judgment and condemnation are running rampant within the ranks of Christianity. People are "sized up" at a glance, on a regular basis: they look different, they act funny, their lifestyle is wrong, their worship habits are suspect and the list goes on.

One of the biggest questions I ask myself almost daily is, "Why does the Church love to judge, when our job is only to love?" God is perfectly capable of judging; we are not. Our calling is to practice righteousness (right-doing, right-being) as it applies to our own lives, but we are never to be self-righteous, defined as "smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others."

I challenge all of us to consider how we measure and judge those around us. If we are not willing to pardon, we will not be pardoned, and I can only speak for myself, but I know I need God's mercy and grace every day. And I further know he expects me to be merciful, just as he is merciful. Keeping score of how I've been wronged and constantly tracking the way others are behaving is not the nit-picky life a believer should live. How do I measure up in applying God's lavish standards of unconditional love?

3 comments:

  1. Sister Terry, one of these days I'll be writing my perceptions of Grandpa and Grandma Brown. Grandpa Brown died before I was born. In 1935 he was thrown from the back of a milk truck south of Ava. Every story I've heard about him was that of a compassionate, caring, nonjudgmental and wise man. Sometime before his death, Grandma got that old-fashioned-religion and became insufferable to the point where her daughters-in-law had disdain for her; her sons hated to see her coming to visit their houses--all because of what you're talking about in this wonderful new posting.

    You state that "...judgment and condemnation are running rampant within the ranks of Christianity." You've left open the question as to why that is when His message is so simple. That gives me pause to ponder on that question and also to watch myself closely because I'm certainly not immune from this malady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ken. My father, who died last year at the age of 91, was much like you describe your grandfather. He made every effort to befriend everyone, no matter how "different" they appeared to be, and he did such a wonderful job of being non-judgmental. (For example, my daughter has often gone through phases of pink/blue/whatever hair, wonderfully crazy clothing choices and even has a couple of tattoos. All of that prompted my mother, who has been gone five years now, to offer constant, critical comment. My father, however, never said a negative word to -- or about -- my daughter...he always found a compliment, instead.)

    He was not a regular church-goer (almost always fell asleep when he did go - ha), and even though he occasionally did speak of God's goodness and the friendship of Jesus, he was not an overtly "religious" man. But he really was the best Christian example I have ever known -- his capacity for unconditional love was amazing. He understood the simplicity of the message of Jesus, so I know it's possible...like you, I can't figure out why it's not more prevalent! (Maybe it is...perhaps the vocal "judgers" are in the loud minority. I should at least consider that possibility, I suppose.)

    As much as I have made it my goal to give people the benefit of the doubt in every way, as you say, I have to be constantly vigilent because I often fail, sometimes miserably!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment about your dad is a perfect example of a "personal legacy" that he passed on to you (and your daughter!) That's the central theme of posting-in-process--legacies.

    Several of us had a better day because of your Sunday post.

    ReplyDelete